Join our Mailing List for the latest news and offers.

The Concourse

MENU

CANCELLED: Sydney Writers Festival – SHAUN MICALLEF: Mad as Hell and Back Sydney Writers' Festival

Cancelled
Order by phone The Concourse +61 2 8075 8111 or Ticketek 1300 795 012
Order in person at The Concourse Box Office

When

Wednesday 6 May; 6:30pm

Where

Concert Hall

Price

Adult $30
Pensioner $20
Student & Child $20

 

6pm, Monday 16 March

CANCELLATION OF 2020 SYDNEY WRITERS’ FESTIVAL

Today we have made the inevitable but nonetheless devastating decision to cancel this year’s Sydney Writers’ Festival, which was scheduled to run from 27 April to 3 May. In light of current public health advice regarding the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), and non-essential public gatherings of over 500 people, it is impossible and inadvisable to proceed with the Festival. “This is an unprecedented, deeply upsetting and challenging time for everyone, but the health and safety of writers, audiences, staff, publishers, volunteers and our community must come first,” said Artistic Director Michaela McGuire.

“This program is now a time capsule, representing one day mid last week when 437 writers from 14 countries were still appearing across 346 events,” said McGuire. Our Primary and Secondary Schools Days, from 4 to 7 May, as well as Student Sessions on 29 April are also cancelled. “We are very proud of the incredible local and international line-up that over 8,000 NSW
primary and high school students were to be introduced to and inspired by,” said Head of Children’s & YA Programs Amelia Lush. We recognise that the cancellation of this year’s Festival will have a significant impact on the literary community, and especially on writers whose work was to be featured for the first time in this program. We urge our audiences to still look to the work of the writers in this program and support their local booksellers in what is sure to be a challenging year. We’ll be using our digital and podcast channels in the coming weeks and months to
highlight, support and celebrate the work of the writers in this year’s program. Chief Executive of Sydney Writers’ Festival Chrissy Sharp said, “I want to sincerely thank all our generous supporters and patrons, and venue and program partners, for their enthusiastic backing of this year’s program. We are facing an extraordinarily challenging moment in the 23-year history of the Festival, and more difficult times ahead without box office revenue, but Sydney Writers’ Festival will return in 2021.” https://www.swf.org.au

On the cancellation of the 2020 Festival, Chair of Sydney Writers’ Festival board Mark Scott said, “I know we will all want to share with Chrissy, Michaela and the entire team, our
devastation for their loss in all of this: a masterful program, wonderfully planned and prepared, but never to be finally realised. It is a tragedy – at a time of many tragedies and what will be much sadness. “It may be lost in all the terrible news, but the shutting down of entertainment venues, festivals, concerts, theatrical productions and the like will have an appalling impact on the
creative industries in this country. Sadly, more than 400 writers share in this loss without this year’s Festival.”

 

Share this event
PARKING DEALS

PARKING DEALS

With car parking for 400 vehicles and some great parking deals, The Concourse offers convenient onsite parking for your visit.

Find out More
EAT, DRINK, SHOP

EAT, DRINK, SHOP

Stop by for a coffee or delicious meal at one of our many onsite restaurants when visiting The Concourse.

Find out More

Receive the latest news and offers straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our monthly newsletter

Back to Top

The Concourse is an initiative of Willoughby City Council and proudly managed by Century Venues.

© WILLOUGHBY CITY COUNCIL - ABN 65 149 191 597